Thursday, December 3, 2015

Blog for 11-30-15 : Non-Fiction Book

Book: Endangered Forest Animals

Author: Dave Taylor

Page #: 1-30 (Finished)




Summary:

Many forest animals have become endangered.  Two main reasons why they have become near to extinction is because of being hunted and deforestation.  The destruction of their habitat has occurred to make room for farms, cities, etc.  The animals have also been hunted abundantly and their population has been nearly wiped out because of their unique coats, threats, etc.  In order to preserve them there have been new laws preventing them from being hunted and national parks have taken in these animals to protect them.  All these endangered forest animals are different but still share the same problem, they're all close to extinction.

Interesting Passage:

There were many interesting passages in the whole entire story about certain animals, forests, and much more.  It was kind of hard to pick one, however I found a passage relating to the Asian elephant that caught my attention and stuck to my brain.  The passage reads, "The people who use elephants for labor do not want their elephants to have babies because that means the mother elephant cannot work for several years while she is looking after her youngster.  Instead of allowing the animals to have babies, the elephant owners catch new wild elephants to replace the aging ones.  This means that the wild herds keep getting smaller." (Page 22)  I found this passage interesting because it is shocking that people are using animals to their own benefit and aren't allowing them to repopulate.  Not letting them repopulate and capturing new elephants decrease the population, yet they are still forcing them into hard work.  I feel as if they should't be put to labor, be able to have babies, and maintain the population.

What I Learned:

I have learned many facts about the endangered forest animals.  Not only that but I learned how to identify specific forests, and how to save the animals living in them.  I learned that in our area we mostly have deciduous trees.  Their leaves turn different colors in fall and fall off when winter comes around.  I also learned about such animals like the lowland gorillas.  The gorillas' habitat are being destroyed and they're being hunted by poachers who have interest in taking their heads as trophies.  Lastly, I learned how to save the many forest animals who are endanger.  People, such as yourself and some friends, can buy an acre (43,560 sq. ft) of a forest and that piece of land cannot be cut down, unless authorized by the owners.  This will make sure the animals have a reliable home, safe from destruction.  Overall I learned a lot from this book because it supplied information about certain types of forests, animals, and solutions to help the animals. 





I commented on:




6 comments:

  1. Great job! I liked how you gave the reasons why the animals were becoming extinct and you did a great job explaining each paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I liked how you gave the reasons why the animals were becoming extinct and you did a great job explaining each paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your formatting and your pictures. They helped me understand your information and summaries better. Your interesting quote is really sad and I think it is important for others to hear. Everything was easy to read but one thing I recommend would be to double check your words like their and they're. Other than that Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like it's for a good cause, and you did a great job of explaining it. It sounds like a lot can be learned from this book, and I agree with you that elephants shouldn't be used for labor, because that's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your formatting Evelyn. Sort of what Citlalli said it helped out a lot with your information. Also, your quote was very interesting. It makes me think what people need for them anyways, why do they need them to work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your formatting Evelyn. Sort of what Citlalli said it helped out a lot with your information. Also, your quote was very interesting. It makes me think what people need for them anyways, why do they need them to work?

    ReplyDelete