Friday, January 22, 2016

2nd Quarter Reflections

Prompts:
  1.  How have your research skills improved?
  2. Of the books you have read this quarter, which was your favorite?  Why? 
  3. What is something you have accomplished since the new year that you are proud of?
~~~~

 1. 

        My research skills have improved greatly because this quarter, our class has focused on research a lot.  We did an Edgar Allan Poe web quest, a Charles Dickens web quest, and we had to do a lot of research when creating our argumentative essay. 

        We learned how to find reliable sources, which definitely helped because some websites in the internet don't exactly tell the truth.  I also learned how to cite other websites or works, which is going to help when we write argumentative essays that involve research. 

        Overall, my research skills have improved since the beginning of the second quarter.   I learned how to find information correctly, and efficiently with both simple and complex articles.  I also learned how to put my research together, which helps when writing. 


2. 
  
        Out of all the books I have read this quarter, The 5th Wave, is my favorite.  It specifically interested me because I love books that are post apocalyptic and are all about survival.  The book's genre is Science Fiction, which happens to be my favorite type of genre.

        The book also adds love interests, which ties everything together.  I really like it because it was very suspenseful and I just couldn't stop reading it.  It is a fast paced novel, and I happened to finish it in less than 3 days.  

        Overall, it is a very well written book, and the conflict is well thought out.  The characters are lovable, without them the book wouldn't be as good.  I fell in love with the plot and the characters, and was just engrossed in the book.  The ending was especially great, which is why it happens to be my favorite book of the quarter.


3. 

        Something I have accomplished since the New Year began that I am proud of is that I finished my argumentative essay.  I am especially proud because I worked hard on it, and I know that I put all my effort into it.  I was very happy at the end result, and knew that all my time and endeavor was well payed off.

        I had spent a lot of time on my essay, researching, citing, and writing.  It wasn't as easy as it seemed because a lot of websites weren't reliable, and finding one that was reliable was very complex.  Citing evidence also took time because you had to make sure everything was precise, and nothing could be wrong.

        When writing my essay, it was also difficult to stay away from informal language such as contractions and abbreviations.  Making sure everything was worded correctly was also problematic. 

        Amongst everything, I managed to put everything together correctly.  It formed a complete argumentative essay, and I was proud to know that I was finished.  It took a lot of time, and the end result was worth it.









        



   

    No comments:

    Post a Comment