Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Final Reflection


1)    

      The three most important things I have learned this year are, how to write a sentence using proper grammar, how to analyze and annotate a piece of writing, and how to do research on a topic correctly. Grammar is a very important lesson to know and doing the small units each day at the beginning of class has definitely helped a lot. Analyzing and annotating was also a very important lesson for me to learn because this year we had to use it a copious amount of times. Lastly, learning how to complete research authentically has been important because it's a life skill and it's something that's going to be used repeatedly during high school and college.
   
   
2)

      Something we did this year that I will remember for the rest of my life is reading the story Of Mice and Men.  It may have been just a novella, but it included some very hidden complex writing and had so many life lessons. It has taught me that certain actions can result into something bigger, there is more to a person that is seen from the outside, and that not all dreams and hopes come true.  These lessons are very important because it teaches me not to judge everyone right away, and it also teaches me that not everything is going to go my way but I still have to strive to pursue my goals.


3)

      The nicest thing someone did for us this year is give us special days when we would have parties and socialize. That someone is Mrs. Larson! Despite the massive amount of learning and working, those special events when we would celebrate the end of a unit by having a buffet and playing games were worth totally worth it.  They would be so much fun, and it would allow us to take a break and relax.  Not only did she teach us a lot of stuff but she also rewarded us too!

4)

      Something I have taught some of my friends in this class is to manage time productively; I'm not the best at doing this, but I do try.  Most of the time whenever I worked on an assignment right away, they would ask me why. I would always tell them that it's better to finish earlier than to finish later. Sometimes, when my friends came over after school or when I was working on my homework I would urge them too work on theirs too. I don't know if they used my advice or not, but I'd like to think they did and still do. It makes the process of completing assignments more expeditious. Waiting for the last minute to do something can be make you become very crestfallen, and cause your work to be monotonous.

5)

      An area that I feel like I've made the biggest improvements is in our poetry unit. When I first heard about this unit, I was very dejected to say the least. I hated poetry; I thought it was too confusing and boring. However, as time passed by I began liking it and I found myself writing a lot of poems. I became more interested and took the time to actually learn and work on it.  One of my poems that I have accomplished and that makes me complacent is my Dreams poem, inspired by Of Mice and Men.  My improvement in this unit has been opening my eyes to poetry and learning to love it.  Overall, the poetry unit had to be my favorite unit and I'm glad I gave it a try.

6)

      The most challenging part of this year for me was balancing my schedule and getting everything done in a timely manner. Despite working on assignments early, I still had to fit homework into my daily routine. Most of the time after school I had to, clean the house, do sports, go to speech and drama, finish homework, get hours for community service, help cook, do my laundry, and squeeze in a little time for myself to relax. Imagine spending 1-2 hours on homework and then trying to finish everything else at the same time. It was hard to say the least. However, I did manage it and it is possible, all it took was some effort and perseverance.

7)

      I don't think I have any best pieces of writing. All of my works have flaws to them and still have to be perfected.  However, if I were to choose a piece of writing that I'm most proud of it would be my argumentive essay because I spent so much time on it and it helped me learn a lot more about internet cesnporship and how to write an argumentive essay. I am proud of my other pieces of writings as well, I just happened to be most proud with my internet censorship essay because it took so long to write and I put a lot of effort into it.

 8)

      Out of all the books I have read this year, The Fifth Wave has to be my favorite. It it my favorite by far because not only is it written in my favor genre, science fiction, but it also contains action. I have a love for books that are sic-fi, contain romance, have action, and have a great plot. The Fifth Wave contains all of that. It's such a binge-worthy book that I finished it in 3 days...at 4 am. The plot was just really well thought out, and the text was very descriptive. I fell in love with the characters and couldn't help but feel attached to them. The book kept me on my tiptoes and urged me to read more. Overall, I truly loved this book and would reread it at any time.

 9)

      A piece of advice I'd like to give the future students who will be in Mrs. Larson's class next year is to be organized. Trust me, this helps a lot. A piece of paper given to you in the beginning of the year can possibly end up becoming your best friend at the end of the year, you never know. Losing important papers can be such a pain, so I would advise keeping neat. Another piece of advice I'd like to give would be to manage time in a productive manner, starting assignments the day before they are due won't help at all. This will only lessen the work quality, add more work, and provide more stress. Lastly, I would advise the new students to not stress themselves. This means don't start assignments late, don't procrastinate, don't fool around in class, don't overthink, etc. This will only come back to bite you. Trust me, it's no fun.













No comments:

Post a Comment